Sector 292
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Personal Expressions And Game Play

2 posters

Go down

Personal Expressions And Game Play Empty Personal Expressions And Game Play

Post  DreadPirateRoberts Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:43 pm

Gang,

This is going to be tough for some of you to read as it is for me to write. Lately there has been a lot of discussion about in-game memorials and there are some thoughts I want to put out there. First, I want to make it clear, that I am in no way going to dictate a rule or custom regarding this subject or censor anyone expressing their opinions about this subject. It needs to be left to each player to decide what they think is best.

It is my opinion that the game is not the place for these events. That said, I'm not going to mass my fleets to go disrupt an event that I consider 'out-of-play'. Taking yourself out of the game to participate in a non-game event at someone's becomes a personal choice (paying respects). It's also a personal choice to disregard the non-game event and exploit it as an opportunity (easy targets to hit). Between those two bookends are the rest of the players who just want to play 'Battle Pirates' and are left to figure out what personal choice they get to make. All these personal choices get expressed and/or viewed publicly to judged all around by individuals and groups as being right or wrong, decent or decadent or not relevant. And then the online posts and discussions take place . . .

One of the key freedoms we get to enjoy as 'Netizens'/citizens of the Internet is the ability to express ourselves as we wish in word and actions. Certain use of words or actions inflame things, especially when considering what events like the loss of a life means and what involvement it might bear to the game, a player or groups of players that were directly or indirectly related to that loss. 'What does it mean to me/us?', in other words.

Where I'm going to leave this gang is to remind everyone, as I even remind myself, is that we are likely going to be divided at least two or three ways or more on this particular subject. Even divided in this opinion and maybe others, our first consideration should be to respect the opinions and personal choices of other players (that is a dimension of diverisity). If someone chooses to make a statement in disagreement that it is done without name calling, sarcasm, hostility and other barriers that close off communication and divide us further.

Respectfully,

D P R
DreadPirateRoberts
DreadPirateRoberts

Back to top Go down

Personal Expressions And Game Play Empty response

Post  wistler65 Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:01 am

DreadPirateRoberts wrote:Gang,

This is going to be tough for some of you to read as it is for me to write. Lately there has been a lot of discussion about in-game memorials and there are some thoughts I want to put out there. First, I want to make it clear, that I am in no way going to dictate a rule or custom regarding this subject or censor anyone expressing their opinions about this subject. It needs to be left to each player to decide what they think is best.

It is my opinion that the game is not the place for these events. That said, I'm not going to mass my fleets to go disrupt an event that I consider 'out-of-play'. Taking yourself out of the game to participate in a non-game event at someone's becomes a personal choice (paying respects). It's also a personal choice to disregard the non-game event and exploit it as an opportunity (easy targets to hit). Between those two bookends are the rest of the players who just want to play 'Battle Pirates' and are left to figure out what personal choice they get to make. All these personal choices get expressed and/or viewed publicly to judged all around by individuals and groups as being right or wrong, decent or decadent or not relevant. And then the online posts and discussions take place . . .

One of the key freedoms we get to enjoy as 'Netizens'/citizens of the Internet is the ability to express ourselves as we wish in word and actions. Certain use of words or actions inflame things, especially when considering what events like the loss of a life means and what involvement it might bear to the game, a player or groups of players that were directly or indirectly related to that loss. 'What does it mean to me/us?', in other words.

Where I'm going to leave this gang is to remind everyone, as I even remind myself, is that we are likely going to be divided at least two or three ways or more on this particular subject. Even divided in this opinion and maybe others, our first consideration should be to respect the opinions and personal choices of other players (that is a dimension of diverisity). If someone chooses to make a statement in disagreement that it is done without name calling, sarcasm, hostility and other barriers that close off communication and divide us further.

Respectfully,

D P R
i bet this was a difficult one to write but im with you on this one im an injured veteran myself and it tugs at my heart strings as well but keeping it to personal choice i believe is the best way . more power to you for this post dpr

wistler65

Back to top Go down